Thursday, June 30, 2011

Granola Shmanola

About a year ago I started making my own granola and have been experimenting with lots of different recipes. Usually it comes out ok or even good but every time its a little different. Since trying to go gluten free I have stayed away from oats and was trying to find an oats alternative for granola. I was looking up buckwheat and quinoa recipes and didn't find anythign super helpful so I experimented. Its pretty blech.

The recipe
1/4 cup dry buckwheat groats
1/4 dry quinoa
pecans
almond slivers
cashews
walnuts
flax seeds

Mixed with canola oil and maple syrup
Baked at 176 for half an hour

Then I added raisins and craisins

First of all it burned which I don't mind too much but isn't great. It also has this weird after taste which is definitely the buckwheat. I don't know if its because the buckwheat is raw or has gone bad but I do not care for it. I hate making food that is bad because I don't want to waste it but also don't particularly want to eat it.

Must keep trying for a good recipe. Next time I'll do it without the grain or cook the grain and then bake it.

No comments:

Post a Comment